The Social Security Administration is a large, bureaucratic entity that holds the fate of your disability benefits in its (metaphorical) hands — but in reality, the SSA has many offices all around the country specifically so that its agents can connect one-on-one with people who are seeking benefits or need help applying.
Your local Social Security office is a place you can go to get your questions answered, submit or pick up paperwork, or talk to a representative about your situation.
And in southeast Louisiana, you have nine offices to choose from, so you can go to the one that best fits your needs and location.
The nine southeast Louisiana Social Security offices are located as follows:
- New Orleans - 400 Poydras St #500, New Orleans, LA 70130
- Gretna/Terrytown - 115 Terry Pkwy, Terrytown, LA 70056
- Kenner - 1616 Joe Yenni Blvd, Kenner, LA 70065
- Lacombe - 64285 LA-434, Lacombe, LA 70445
- Houma - 178 Civic Center Blvd, Houma, LA 70360
- Baton Rouge - 5455 Bankers Ave, Baton Rouge, LA 70808
- Baton Rouge - 4332 Harding Blvd, Baton Rouge, LA 70807
- Hammond - 2100 Robin Ave, Hammond, LA 70403
- Morgan City - 1279 Clothilde St, Morgan City, LA 70380
For each one, you can click their location above to find out opening hours and driving directions, which can be helpful if you’re not within walking distance.
At your local Social Security Office, you can carry out a number of tasks that are necessary for obtaining or continuing your Social Security benefits.
For example, many people head to the SSA after their name changes, whether they get married or simply want to change their name to something else.
You can also get a replacement Social Security card if you have lost yours or if it has become damaged, and you can apply for most types of benefits if you have not already done so using the online system.
A few things to keep in mind are parking: at the New Orleans Social Security Office, you will likely have to pay for parking but most of the others have a dedicated parking lot or available parking nearby.
You should also be prepared to go through airport-style security, so don’t have any large metal objects with you if you want to make sure that the process goes faster.
As long as you expect these aspects you will be prepared when you do visit the office.