Unfortunately, the long-term disability insurance company makes the decision on whether or not you are disabled. They have this power because the United States Supreme Court has ruled that the insurance company can reserve to itself the discretion to make such decisions. After the ruling, all long-term disability insurance companies reserved the power to themselves.Thus, even though you may have a favorable doctor’s opinion, or several, and other supporting documentation, do not be surprised to receive a denial. Why? In the face of such documentation, the long-term disability insurer will often have their internal company doctors, or their own consulting doctors, render an opinion on whether or not you can work with your ailment or whether or not you are truly suffering from your ailment. In the insurer’s discretion, they can decide to rely on this one opinion from a doctor who never treated or examined you and deny your claim.
Who decides if I am disabled?
What You Need to Know
- Posted on 08/08/2017Dishonest Long-Term Disability Claim Practices
- Posted on 03/14/2017The Secret to Winning A Long-Term Disability Claim
- Posted on 02/28/2017Tips for describing your job duties on your Long-Term Disability benefit application
- Posted on 08/14/2020Pre-Existing Conditions in Long-Term Disability Policies
- Posted on 06/10/20205 Steps to Win Your Long-Term Disability Appeal Against Valero St. Charles Refinery
- Posted on 05/11/2020I Was Injured or Disabled While Working For Bayer In Luling, LA. Why Were My Benefits Denied?
We Know That Every Client & Every Case Is Different. Tell Us Your Story.Get Help Now
What Our Clients Are Saying
"When I come to visit and I walk out, I always feel like a new person, like I can do this and I have help to do it." Celena Rousse, Galliano, LA
"I wasn't intimidated. He makes you feel like you've known each other. The experience was great. And he still helps me. You can't go wrong with Loyd." Stacey Diesel, Metairie, LA
"Very professional, knowledgeable, upfront and honest." Monica Giangrosso, LaPlace, LA
"Loyd was highly recommended to me, and I must say he exceeded expectations." Ronald Riera, Raceland, LA
“Loyd was very polite and understanding. Would recommend him to all my friends and family.” Stacey Diesel, Metairie, LA